Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (can also use salted butter, adjust salt accordingly)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk (can use 2% or 1% if desired)
- 2 cups shredded cheese blend (preferably a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
1. Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until smooth and bubbly.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted and smooth.
6. Season with salt, adjust to taste.
7. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni and stir until well coated.
8. Serve the macaroni and cheese hot.
- For a creamier macaroni and cheese, add more milk as desired.
- Add protein such as ground beef, chicken, bacon, tuna, or sausage.
- Experiment with different cheese blends for a unique flavor.
- Top with bread crumbs for a crunchy texture.
- Serve with homemade applesauce for a sweet and savory combination.
- Some people even add apples to their macaroni and cheese.
Storing and Reheating:
- Let the macaroni and cheese cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- For longer storage, freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- To reheat an individual serving, add 1 tablespoon of milk per cup of macaroni and cheese and heat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, stirring well before serving.
- For a larger portion, place in an oven-safe dish, add 1 tablespoon of milk per cup of macaroni and cheese, cover with foil, and bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Stir well before serving.