The Best Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the vegetable oil and eggs until well combined. Gradually add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
4. Stir in the grated carrots, crushed pineapple, and chopped walnuts (if using).
5. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Then, transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. While the cakes are cooling, prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
9. Once the cakes are completely cooled, level them if necessary. Place one cake layer on a serving plate and spread a layer of cream cheese frosting on top. Add the second cake layer and frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
10. Serve and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Note: If desired, you can decorate the cake with rosettes using a piping bag and tip, or simply spread the frosting on the cake in a swooping design. Also, feel free to omit the pineapple or make other substitutions like adding coconut or brown sugar to suit your taste preferences.