Pumpkin French Toast is made by dipping Texas toast into an eggy pumpkin batter and frying it until golden brown. This recipe adds a hint of pumpkin spice to every bite. If you prefer traditional French toast, you can try my Best French Toast recipe.
Pumpkin French Toast:
With the arrival of the Fall season, pumpkin is everywhere, including this French toast recipe. Made with pure pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, this hot breakfast is perfect for the trend. Enjoy it with some butter and pure maple syrup on cool Autumn mornings. You can also try my Pumpkin Pancakes and Waffles!
- Make sure the eggs and milk are at room temperature to help the ingredients coat the bread evenly.
- For the batter, whole milk is preferred. Alternatively, you can use a mix of half heavy cream and half milk for a richer French toast. You can also use any milk you have available, such as 1% or Skim, but this may result in a soggy texture.
- Use pure pumpkin (previously labeled as pumpkin puree) without any added seasoning, spice, flavoring, or sugar. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
- Make your own pumpkin pie spice for this recipe and other pumpkin dishes.
- Texas toast is recommended, but other bread options like brioche, challah, or baguette can be used. Thicker bread will hold the flavors of the batter better and yield a fluffier result.
What is the Best Bread for French Toast?
Ideally, avoid using fresh bread for French toast. Instead, use older slices to make the most of them. In terms of the type of bread, I like using Texas toast (as used in this recipe), brioche, challah, or even a baguette. Thicker bread will hold the batter flavors better and result in a fluffier texture.
How to Serve Pumpkin French Toast:
You can enjoy Pumpkin French Toast with just butter and pure maple syrup for a delicious breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. Alternatively, you can enhance the French toast with other toppings. Sprinkle a little confectioners' sugar and add a dollop of whipped cream on top. You can also try flavored butter, such as cinnamon butter or maple butter, for added yumminess.
What Does Pumpkin French Toast Taste Like?
When you take a bite of the fluffy slice of Pumpkin French Toast, you'll experience a subtle pumpkin flavor that is not overpowering. This makes it a great option even for those who might be skeptical about pumpkin dishes.
How to Store:
Although French toast is best enjoyed immediately, you can store leftover slices in the refrigerator for a couple of days. When you're ready to enjoy them, you can heat up a slice or two in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven (if the bread is sturdy enough). Another option is to reheat the French toast in a skillet.