Homemade Apple Pie
- 1 recipe homemade pie crust (see notes for link)
- 8-10 medium-sized apples, a variety of both tart and sweet (such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, or Fuji)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
1. Prepare the homemade pie crust according to the recipe instructions. Divide the dough in half and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
3. Peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place them in a large bowl.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples. Add the lemon juice and toss everything together until the apples are evenly coated.
5. Optional: Pre-cook the apple filling on the stovetop over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. This step helps to soften the apples and meld the flavors together.
6. Roll out one of the pie crusts and carefully transfer it to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges.
7. Pour the apple filling into the pie crust, making sure to pack the slices tightly and minimize air pockets.
8. Roll out the second pie crust and either place it on top as a double-crust pie, or create a lattice pattern. If using a double-crust, cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
9. Flute or crimp the edges of the pie crust to seal everything in place.
10. In a small bowl, beat the egg and brush it over the top crust using a pastry brush. Sprinkle coarse sugar on top for extra crunch and sparkle.
11. Optional: To prevent the crust from burning, you can cover the edges with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil.
12. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 425°F (220°C). Then, reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and continue baking for about 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
13. Allow the pie to cool for at least 3 hours before slicing and serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Enjoy the best homemade apple pie with its gooey, cinnamon-spiced apple filling and buttery, flaky crust!