Magic Cookie Bars, also known as 7 Layer Bars or Garbage Bars, are a deliciously gooey treat that has been enjoyed for generations. This recipe, inspired by my Mother-in-Law's church cookbook, is a tried and true classic.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (such as pecans or walnuts)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish to form the crust.
3. Sprinkle the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, and chopped nuts over the crust. Then, sprinkle the shredded coconut evenly over the top.
4. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the entire mixture. Make sure to drizzle it over every corner and edge.
5. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the edges are slightly crispy.
6. Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the bars cool completely before cutting into squares.
7. Enjoy the magic of these ooey-gooey, chocolatey treats!
Feel free to experiment with different variations of Magic Cookie Bars based on your preferences. Some suggestions include:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Magic Bars: Use chocolate chip cookie dough for the crust instead of graham cracker crumbs.
- Lemon Magic Bars: Use a lemon cookie crust and add lemon zest to the coconut filling.
- Peanut Butter Magic Bars: Use a peanut butter cookie crust and add chopped peanuts to the coconut filling.
- Caramel Magic Bars: Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the bars before baking.
- Mint Magic Bars: Use mint chocolate cookies for the crust and add peppermint extract to the coconut filling.
- Berry Magic Bars: Spread a layer of your favorite berry jam or preserve over the crust before adding the coconut filling.
Storage and Thawing Instructions:
To store Magic Cookie Bars, allow them to cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap. Store the bars in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
If you prefer to freeze the bars, cut them into individual servings before wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the wrapped bars in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the desired number of bars at room temperature for about 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for several hours. For a quick thaw, you can wrap the bars in a damp paper towel and microwave them on the defrost setting for 1-2 minutes.
So go ahead and indulge in these delightful Magic Cookie Bars. They are perfect for any occasion and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy!