Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2-3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or pie dish that is at least 2 inches deep.
2. In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the mixture is smooth. Pour the caramel mixture into the prepared cake pan and spread it evenly. Arrange the apple slices on top of the caramel, creating a nice layer.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
6. Pour the cake batter on top of the apples and smooth it with a spatula.
7. Bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate and let it cool completely.
9. Serve the caramel apple upside down cake at room temperature or slightly warmed. Enjoy!