Snowball Cookies, also known as Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cookies (among others), are classic holiday cookies. But, they are easy enough to make when you are craving a nutty treat. And, they look like little snowballs, which works for me since we get a lot of snow here!
Snowball Cookies are rich, buttery cookies that are full of chopped pecans and twice rolled in sugar for a powdery coating. To make these cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in the chopped pecans.
4. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies are set and slightly golden on the bottom. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes.
6. While still warm, gently roll the cookies in the remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar until fully coated. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Once the cookies are completely cooled, roll them in powdered sugar again for a second coating. Gently shake off any excess sugar.
8. Store the Snowball Cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Enjoy these delightful Snowball Cookies that are perfect for the holiday season or any time you're in the mood for a sweet and nutty treat!