Bourbon Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 recipe of your favorite pie crust for a bottom and top crust (or 2 store-bought pie crusts)
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup bourbon (or substitute with 1 tablespoon bourbon extract, apple cider, apple juice, or vanilla extract for a non-alcoholic version)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the apple slices and bourbon. Toss until the apples are coated. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. Pour the sugar mixture over the bourbon-infused apples. Gently toss until the apples are evenly coated with the mixture.
5. Roll out one pie crust and transfer it to a 9-inch pie dish. Press it into the bottom and sides of the dish.
6. Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust, spreading it evenly.
7. Roll out the second pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Cut it into 2 to 2 ½-inch strips using a pizza cutter.
8. Create a lattice crust by arranging half of the strips over the pie in parallel lines, leaving space in between. Fold every other strip up to the mid-line of the pie. Lay another strip over the middle of the pie, perpendicular to the others. Fold the parallel strips back down, then fold up all the other strips. Lay another perpendicular strip down, and repeat until all the strips have been used.
9. Trim any excess dough and press it to adhere to the bottom crust. Use a fork to crimp the edge of the pie to seal. Alternatively, if using a traditional top crust, cut a few slits in it to vent steam.
10. Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
11. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
12. Serve the Bourbon Apple Pie at room temperature or warm it up in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350°F before serving.
13. Enjoy your slice of Bourbon Apple Pie with its perfect blend of sweet, tart, and warm flavors!
Note: If making ahead of time, you can prepare the pie crust and store it. The apple pie filling can also be mixed ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Fully baked pies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for the same amount of time. If freezing the pie, let it cool completely, wrap it in plastic wrap, and store it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Thaw the pie in the refrigerator overnight before serving.