Chocolate Ermine Frosting is a delicious and versatile frosting that is perfect for cakes, cupcakes, fillings, and even as a dip! It is made by cooking a milk and flour mixture and mixing it with butter, sugar, and cocoa powder. Here is the original recipe for Chocolate Ermine Frosting:
- 1 cup whole milk or 2% milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, whisk together the milk and flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the mixture resembles a thick pudding. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Gradually add the cooled milk and flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
4. Use the chocolate ermine frosting to frost your cakes or cupcakes, fillings, or as a dip. Enjoy!
Chocolate Ermine Frosting can be stored at room temperature for up to a day. After that, it should be refrigerated. The frosting will last up to a week in the refrigerator. Before using, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then re-whip to restore its smooth texture. If freezing, it can be stored for up to 3 months. However, note that freezing could affect the texture, so whip it up again after thawing to restore its consistency.
Note: For a smoother and creamier frosting, it is recommended to use whole milk or 2% milk. Lower-fat milk alternatives may result in a less creamy and more watery frosting. Gluten-free flour can be used, but the frosting may not be as smooth. Dutch-processed cocoa powder will give a richer flavor and darker color, but regular unsweetened cocoa powder can be substituted. Lastly, vanilla extract can be omitted if not available.