Recipe: Cranberry Apple Upside Down Cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: serves 8-10
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 and 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
2 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of butter over low heat. Stir in the brown sugar until well combined. Pour the mixture into the greased cake pan, spreading it evenly.
3. Sprinkle the cranberries over the brown sugar mixture in the pan. Arrange the apple slices on top of the cranberries, overlapping them if necessary.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
6. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
7. Pour the batter over the cranberries and apples in the cake pan, spreading it evenly. Tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
9. Using oven mitts, place a serving plate on top of the cake pan and carefully invert the cake onto the plate. Gently lift the cake pan off the cake, revealing the upside-down design. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy this moist and flavorful cranberry apple upside-down cake as a delicious fall dessert!